Tower of Pisa
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italian: Torre pendente di Pisa or abbreviated as Torre di Pisa), or better known as the Tower of Pisa, is a campanile or cathedral bell tower in the city of Pisa, Italy.
The Pisa Tower was actually made to stand vertically like a bell tower in general, but began to tilt shortly after construction began in August 1173. It is located behind the cathedral and is the third building of the Campo dei Miracoli (rainbow field) of the city of Pisa.
The height of this tower is 55.86 m from the lowest ground level and 56.70 m from the highest ground level. The width of the wall below reaches 4.09 m and the peak is 2.48 m. Its weight is estimated at 14,500 tons. The Tower of Pisa has 294 steps. With the existence of this tower, the economic income sector will increase because of the attractions.
The Tower of Pisa is also accepted as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The construction of the Tower of Pisa was carried out in three stages over a period of 200 years. The construction of the first floor of the white marble campanile began on August 9, 1173, which was an era of military prosperity and glory. The first floor is surrounded by pillars with classic letters, which tilt toward the arch of the blinds. Actually, the Leaning Tower was supposed to stand as tall as 55 meters, but because the Leaning Tower of Pisa was built on unstable land, the Tower finally tilted from a straight line of 5 meters.
There is controversy regarding the identity of the Leaning Tower of Pisa architect. For several years the designer was predicated to a prominent 12th-century local artist in Pisa, who was popular by his bronze molds, especially in the Pisa Duomo. Bonanno Pisano left Pisa in 1185 to go to Monreale, Sicily, only to return home and die in his hometown. His sarcophagus was found at the base of the tower in 1820.